Phys106 Queens
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tables in Inertia lab

2 posters

Go down

Tables in Inertia lab Empty Discrepancy

Post by George C Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:49 am

If my experimental values agree with one another (they're the same), but not with the theoretical value, is there a way we should calculate the discrepancy? Or is it okay to do 100% X (actual/theoretical)?

EDIT- also, would I need the calculate uncertainty of said discrepancy?

George C

Back to top Go down

Tables in Inertia lab Empty Re: Tables in Inertia lab

Post by MattChequers Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:51 am

Right, however it is in the table in the outline, so it is just something you calculate. Just include it in your analysis and put it in the table.

MattChequers

Back to top Go down

Tables in Inertia lab Empty Tension Force

Post by George C Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:31 am

Thanks again for your reply. I have a question about the tension force in the inertia lab; it is never explicitly said that we were to calculate Ft, nor was it mentioned in any of the discussion questions in the short report: the only reason we calculated it was because there was a spot in the table for it. Thus, I'm not entirely sure what to do with it in my analysis. There's nothing to compare it to to see if it is "reasonable."

George C

Back to top Go down

Post by MattChequers Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:16 am

Usually I would say it would be in the analysis section since you didn't measure it directly. However, then the table in your measurements won't have uncertainty, so it's fine if you report the uncertainty in your measurements, then make a note in and around the table stating that it was calculated using the standard deviation of whatever trial you used.

MattChequers

Back to top Go down

Tables in Inertia lab Empty Error on time intervals

Post by George C Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:40 am

Thanks. I also have a question about the error on time intervals; for experiments 1 and 2 of the inertia lab, the error of the time measurements was taken as the standard deviation of the runs we did multiple trials on (e.g. three trials for the time it takes to do 2 revolutions). Should our method of using standard deviation as error be mentioned in the measurements section (where the stddev errors are included with the measured values), or in the analysis?

George C

Back to top Go down

Post by MattChequers Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:59 pm

Yes. you need tables for all of your measurements in your measurements section. As a side note, quantities such as the torque should not be in the measurements section. So you should not just copy the table from the short report since it has quantities that are both calculated and measured.

MattChequers

Back to top Go down

Tables in Inertia lab Empty Tables in Inertia lab

Post by George C Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:47 pm

For the inertia lab, do we need to include the tables of our trials in addition to the table from the short report (that had radius, torque, etc)?

George C

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down