Phys106 Queens
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Questions about the Inertia formal lab

2 posters

Go down

Questions about the Inertia formal lab Empty Re: Questions about the Inertia formal lab

Post by Zhong Li Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:12 pm

That's fine thanks for explaining it more to me!!!

Zhong Li

Back to top Go down

Questions about the Inertia formal lab Empty Re: Questions about the Inertia formal lab

Post by MattChequers Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:56 pm

Unfortunately I can't do this. This would defeat the purpose of you writing that part, and in turn the exercise of writing this lab up. All I can say is that if you are going over the limit and it is due to the theory section being too long then there is definitely parts you can do without. The parts that are most important are in the lab manual, so you can use that as a starting place. It is then up to you to show how to get these equations. You don't have to derive things from first principles, so the theory shouldn't be terribly detailed and lengthy. A page and a half at the most I would say is what you should be looking for.

MattChequers

Back to top Go down

Post by Zhong Li Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:36 pm

Ok I think I got it and thank you!!!

Also I dont't know if this is possible but I am really confused with how specific we should introduce and explain each equation we use. I think I already write too many on it and might exceed the page limit in the end, but I am not sure which part is not important so I don't know what I can delete. So Matthew is that possible for you to read over one part of my theory and explain to me which part is unnecessary on Monday? It shouldn't take longer than 15 minutes...

Zhong Li

Back to top Go down

Post by MattChequers Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:11 pm

yes, to get to equation 6 you assume mr^2 << I to simplify the denominator. In the analysis you are justifying this using your results. You assumed something, so now you are checking whether with assumption was correct or not. It's more of a sanity check. If mr^2 isn't much less than I then something has gone terribly wrong.

MattChequers

Back to top Go down

Post by Zhong Li Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:43 pm

Thanks!

And I just want to make sure if I understand, so I should state that mr^2 << I in the theory, and then explain it in the analysis right?

Zhong Li

Back to top Go down

Post by MattChequers Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:26 pm

From the documents on the web, all of the questions on the lab sheets should be answered in the analysis section. Also, the lab assumes that mr^2 << I, so that would be an important comment in your theory section anyways. You then had to go back to the assumption and say whether it was valid or not.

MattChequers

Back to top Go down

Questions about the Inertia formal lab Empty Questions about the Inertia formal lab

Post by Zhong Li Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:28 am

Hello! In the questions at the end of worksheet we were asked to prove that mr2<<I is correct. It is not part of the calculation we need to make to get our results so I don't know if we should talk about this in our formal lab? If we do need to do we put it in the analysis or the theory section?

Thanks for answering my question!

Zhong Li

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down